Cool Cosplay Special: Buliding An Injustice: Gods Among Us Flash

The fine folks over at Malmey Studios are sharing the process they took to build their version of The Scarlet Speedster from the smash video game.
flash-injustice-concept
We recently acquired a 3D CNC Machine and have worked my way through both the software and the CNC operations. The 3D capabilities will change the way we do costumes. The way we use to do them was using V-carving to turn 2D into 3D suits, now we actually have true 3D carving capabilities. So the first suit we decided to try our hands at was a Custom version of Flash from Injustice. Our suit does not totally resemble Injustice game version of The Flash. We’ve decided to add our own designs to the suit, but will be using game design as a starting point. First step for The Flash was the chestpiece.

Malmey-Studios-Flash-Injustice-Chest-Design

This was our first 3D design for costume use and was not sure about texture and cutting the foam. We were also able to got the first coat of latex in the mold. We tinted it Red for the first layer to make painting a breeze OOOOHHHHHH exciting! Some of the detail on this suit is up to 2″ deep so our next part of the process was to insert some foam in the deepest spots to help it hold its shape. I then painted it up and this is where we are at thus far. One with the chest laying flat and one with it laying on a mannequin.

photo_1
photo-203x300

We revamped the chest and added the legs. Next we will be turning our attention to the Cowl. Shoulders, biceps, gauntlets, boot spats and the back design. Not much to report as the pictures tell the story.

IMG_2891

After the above first attempt, we changed the general layout once again removing the hexagon pattern and replacing the over all suit with an over all material type look!

image1-225x300

Here is the final and new design.

image8-225x300

With the final approved design out-of-the-way we moved to designing the gauntlets boot spats and the shoulder (pics of those will come later). Once all the pieces were designed we moved to the cutting part of this suit. Some you know how we make the majority of our suits some of you don’t, so I’m gunna let you in on it. Most of our suits are designed in a 3D Cad program and then cut on a CNC machine with a 3D axis. This is not like 3D printing where the machine adds material, this is a process where the machine takes material away. We always start with a piece of HD foam board, once the CNC is finished cutting we end up with a foam master for our suit which looks like the following.

image2-300x210

Once the foam master is complete we move on to the plaster mold, this is the easy part considering the molds are flat, we mix the plaster, pour it over the master and BAM!, we have our mold for latex castings.

With that done and while the latex was drying we moved on to the helmet. The only problem with the CNC as opposed to the 3D Printing is it does not have the capability to do mask sot we leave that up to old fashion sculpting. So I (Jeremey)turned the project over to Mallie. She sculpted the helmet in a couple days with detail and refining work. The sculpt turned out great.


I know, the first question on your mind probably is. ‘Why is it green?’ We ran out of clear coat and green was the only gloss coat we had, so no matter how unappealing we went with it. But fear not to redeem ourselves we already got the first mask produced. Note the ears, we decided to go with a “classic look” to them. In our opinion it better suits the suit. Here is a quick pic of the completed cowl.

image3-300x245

With the cowl complete we turned our attentions back to the suit, the latex was finally dry after many coats and we started gluing it to the under suit.

As you can see once the latex suit was attached there was still a ton of work to do. Our next step was to start covering the exposed parts of the under suit in latex to make the suit match a and give it that completed look. We also re-thought the logo on the chest and replaced it with a different one that was a little more detailed. If you look at the blue master foam pic above you will see the logo. At this point we also turned our attentions to the gauntlets, boot spats and shoulders. The gauntlets and boot spats are also pictured above In the foam master picture with the logo. With every thing cut molded pored and glued we started to get something that resembled an Injustice Flash costume.

Boot Spats & Gauntlets.


And here is the complete suit in all it’s unfinished glory.

The above pic showcases the complete suit (minus the shoulders & cowl). As you can see the differences in the logo and what the attached gauntlets & boot spats look like. Also take a look at the areas that are now covered in latex that previously were not. Please take note of the spine, which is removable and reveals the under suits zipper. after this was complete we turned our attention to some detail painting, our first choice was yellow.

image6-210x300

It turned out pretty good but was not quite right for the “game” look we were going for so we switched gears and decided to go with a deeper red and gold.

image7

You will notice that we took some liberties with the Injustice official Flash design. We do not like to copy some thing 100%, because we like to make things our own while still delivering a noticeable suit.

Here’s the completed cowl.

And now for a look at the completed suit.

Feel free to check out more from Malmey Studios here.

About comics xaminer